Tuesday, May 13, 2008

TYPOGRAPHY
The Island of San Serriffe
It sure has been a long time since my last posting; you can be sure I've been quite busy with all my classes, but now with the summer lull, I hope to resume regular postings. First off, Jeff, a past student from MDC, sent me the following article for April Fool's Day, from the Museum of Hoaxes.
Publishers of
The Guardian, a UK newspaper, often ran special reports, focusing on an obscure country or new technology, designed to attract related advertising. Tired of the parade of little countries no one had ever heard of, Philip Davies conceived the island of San Serriffe, as a hoax for the April 1, 1977 edition of the paper, which ran a seven-page article dedicated to the fictitious island, complete with fake maps, history and advertisements--all built around typographic references. The island is shaped like a semicolon, the capital is Bodoni, and its dictator is General Pica. The hoax proved to be extremely popular and is well-known to this day.
Thanks also to Robin, another past MDC student, who sent me this link to San Serriffe from WikiTravel.

No comments: